Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

Paul McCartney’s voice sure fits the Great American Songbook

I recently had a chance to listen to Paul McCartney’s new CD “Kisses On The Bottom.”  For those of you that don’t know, it’s the first CD he ever recorded of songs from the Great American Songbook (songs from the 30s-50s usually recorded by Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra, etc.  and written by the likes of George Gershwin, Cole porter, etc.). 

In my opinion, it is probably the best album he put out in the last 10 years.  it has 14 tracks, and 2 are originals.  The originals are written in the style of the Great American Songbook.  Of the 2 originals, “My Valentine” is the best, in fact I think it’s the best recording on the whole album.  Eric Clapton, Stevie Wonder and Diana Krall are also featured on this album.  Great Great album!!  definitely worth the buy. “The Glory of Love” is my most favorite non-original recording.

Sometimes over the last 10 years you can tell in his voice that he’s getting older, I definitely don’t sense it on this record.  Hopefully he will do more albums like this.  Several artists have put out Great American Songbook records in the last decade, I never cared too much for Rod Stewart’s though maybe it’s because I’m not a big Rod Stewart fan? I don’t know.  I have a  copy of Brian Wilson’s “Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin” which was released a year ago.  That’s a great album also.    I can definitely see Paul McCartney putting out another such album.  His voice is perfect for the genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment